History of Southwest Wyoming
By 1868, the Union Pacific Railroad had reached what was the fort camp of Evanston, Wyoming. Later that winter, the City was named after railroad surveyor James A. Evans. As the 20th Century drew closer, a train depot was built, along with a Union Pacific Railroad roundhouse and machine shop, establishing Evanston as a permanent stop along the Union Pacific line.
Many of the structures at Evanston's Historic Roundhouse & Railyards have been refurbished and are available for various events and occasions. Please visit City Hall at 1200 Main Street or call 307-783-6306 for more information or to schedule a tour of the site.
The area’s history is on full display at the Uinta County Museum where the history of the West has been lovingly preserved with artifacts and personal memorabilia from families with long histories in the region. Some of the exhibits are ‘Trails, Rails, Ranches and Rigs’, ‘The Lincoln Highway: Where the Rubber First Met the Road’, ‘Then and Now’, and ‘Boy Scouts Centennial’. Also, the Historic Fort Bridger site is a popular destination.
The Chinese Joss House Museum tells the story of Chinese immigrants who lived and worked in Uinta County from the 1870’s to the 1930’s. The museum collection includes a full scale model of Evanston’s Chinatown, along with archaeological discoveries, pictures and artifacts.